SUGGESTED RESUME FORMAT
YOUR RESUME is a personal statement of your professional strengths, measured accomplishments, work experience, education, as well as your career direction for the future.
Your resume should highlight your relevant qualifications and accomplishments.
I am sure you have read a lot of articles on resume writing and you may have even had a professional write your resume.
Everyone has their own opinions... and they are probably right, however.... after 27 years of writing resumes for OUR industry... we feel we have a good layout that is clear, concise and effective.
HERE ARE 8 SUGGESTED STEPS FOR YOUR RESUME...
1. OBJECTIVE - Start with a clear objective tailored to the specific job for which you are applying.
To secure a Senior level Food & Beverage position where I am able to utilize my skills in back-of-the-house and front-of-the-house operations, menu design, purchasing and storage, staff development and delivery of excellent customer services to streamline operations, improve customer loyalty, and increase revenue for owners.
2. QUALIFICATIONS - List your qualifications - Why should the employer hire you? How are you qualified for the job?
Your first sentence should clearly state your number of year of experience in the position you are applying for.
Start your next sentences with... Experienced... Excellent…. Skilled… Created…… Built…. Accomplished……Drove revenue… Improved profit margins… Reduced turnover...
Quantify your experiences; whenever possible, citing figures that demonstrate progress due directly to your work.
Select high points of your career accompolishments with measured results. Use: size, scope, numbers, percentages, dollars, increased by, and decreased by, etc.
List any technical and software implementations and experiences.
State management, communications and leadership styles.
List your software experience.
- 28 years of financial, analytical and operations experience in the casino/resort industry.
- 10 years experience as CFO for Indian Gaming and Corporate gaming and resorts.
- Experienced in opening new casino projects values at $200M.
- and setting up financial accounting systems, policies and procedures.
- Operating budget oversight of $45M
- Extensive experience working with Federal, State and local regulatory agencies and multiple external audit firms resulting with recent audit in full compliance.
- Experience with financial reporting in both GASB and SEC formats.
- Proven leader in building teams and achieving organizational goals.
- Excellent communicator and mentor.
- Software experience: MS Office, Excel, Power Point, MAS, Peoplesoft, IGT, MICROS and.....
3. EXPERIENCE - List in chronological order with most recent first. List accomplishments for each position in bullet points for each position.
- List Company Name - City, State and Dates of employment on the first line
- List your title/position on the second line
- Write information on the company including size and scope of business on the 3rd to 5th lines
- List bullet points for responsibilities, people supervised and reporting structure; rather than just describing duties.
- List measurable accomplishments and results such as; percentages of increases, decreases, budgets and quantitative responsibilities.
- PLEASE DO NOT copy paste job descriptions!
ABC COMPANY - City, ST 05/2016 - Present
DIRECTOR OF MARKETING
Three gaming and resort operations with accumulative 1,000 slots, 50 tables, 400 hotel rooms, 9 restaurants, 1 entertainment venue and 1,000 employees
- Created a mix of marketing products that re-positioned casino as the industry leader in the region in technology, social media, increased ROI %, promotional excitement, customer awareness and customer service ratings.
- Restructured marketing division saving company $5.2M the first year in advertising costs
- Spearheaded redesign of Player’s Club based on new player tracking system to increase customer loyalty – increased tracked play 25% in first 3 months of roll-out.
- Directed total re-branding of property to enhance marketing efforts and image in the region
- Revamped media buys to align with new goals of target marketing
- Re-branded and designed media elements resulting in new commercials, radio/print ads, and all collateral.
4. EDUCATION and CERTIFICATIONS - List degrees, certifications and professional courses.
- B.S. Business Administration - University of STATE, CITY - Major: Gaming Management Minor: Economics 2012
CERTIFICATIONS - PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Gaming Management Programs – University of STATE, CITY
- Rapport Leadership International Master Graduate
5. PROFESSIONAL AND CIVIC ORGANIZATIONS - List your Positions, Organizations and Terms
- Board Member - CITY Chamber of Commerce 2015 - Present
- Member - CITY Education Authority 2017 - 2019
6. PROFESSIONAL LICENSES - Gaming is a heavily regulated industry. If applicable, please list Gaming and other licenses you have held and / or currently hold. Please list any and all professional licenses that you have held and / or currently hold.
- Gaming License - ABC Tribe, ST 2015 - present
- Gaming License - XYZ Nation, ST 2010 - 2015
- CPA - State of GHI 2010 - present
7. PERSONAL - If you are comfortable sharing your hobbies & interests then please share them. This shows some of your personality, values and an environment that you like to be close to.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS
I enjoy time with my family, sports, hiking and backpacking.
8. MOST ALL OF OUR JOBS ARE NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE - Please BOLD AND CAPITALIZE your tribal affiliation, if you are an enrolled Tribal member of a Native American Nation.
ENROLLED MEMBER OF THE ____ NATION
- Be honest and be accurate - Your resume should properly and accurately represent your professional history and measured accomplishments.
- Organize your employment and your education beginning with most recent dates first.
- List accomplishments in measured terms i.e. .... Increased sales $2.5M last year.
- Give attention to the attractiveness and clarity of the resume.
- Proofread your resume numerous times, to find and correct any errors.
- Present your qualifications honestly and accurately, as they relate to your experiences and the positions you are applying for.
PLEASE DO NOT…
- Provide irrelevant information such as travel history, previous pay rates, reasons for leaving jobs, irrelevant awards Or the phrase "References upon request." In most cases you will be required to complete a company application, no matter what position you are applying for and how senior level it is. This is for the protection of the company.
- List references on your resume. Prepare a separate list to be offered at interview time.
- Make your resume a biography of everything you have ever done.
- Use introductory phrases such as "My duties included" or "I was responsible for".
- Use unusual font types, underlines, italics, shading, graphics, and adjusted spacing. This will prevent your resume from being easily accessed by different computer programs.
Copyright 2022 Traci McCarty,Inc.